Wednesday 12 September 2012

To Cheer Myself Up....




After Scotland's feeble efforts last night I decided I needed cheering up, so I headed for the cemetery.  Early this morning, just as the sun was shining, I wandered down the hill.  The purpose of my visit was to replace the photos of certain dead servicemen which had gone a missing when the PC went down. (I mean the pictures went a missing, the men stayed where they were.)   Having decided to search out the WW2 men also, having lumbered myself with this, I went looking for those I had not found before.  One reason I had not found several was that some lay in another place but no one had told me the cemetery was divided in two!  Bah!  However I was not the only one with a camera!  I espied another gentleman snapping a WW2 grave, and enquiring of the attendant concerning others.  He ignored me so I returned the favour, but I am left asking who he is, what he is a looking for, and is there money in it?  Anyway I found almost all I wanted, careful to avoid one man attending his deceased, one he clearly misses, and now seek only two from here and five from the other place.  It amazes me how many other war graves I found there who's names are not recorded on the memorial.  Sometimes there are reasons, others appear to be ignored.  I found one Polish gent from WW2 and am reliably informed a Vietnam Air Force veteran was buried there in 1969, I will go seek him soon.   



The small Gothic structure at the entrance appears too small to use as a chapel, but contains other useful rooms, however the entrance door features this King, and on the other side a Bishop, awaiting to greet those who arrive, one way or another. What and who these represent I know not.  I can find nothing about them after a swift Google.  Handsome aint they?





Handsome is not what last night was about?  A draw that more or less entails yet another World Cup fiasco for Scotland.  We are out already, and only two games played, or so it appears to me.  Craig Levein certainly showed a much more positive approach to this game than he showed on Saturday, but retained the one up front with no-one anywhere nearby policy.  The set up was supposed to bring midfielders right up to the one man, Miller, but as they were too busy helping out the defence it failed!  Also once again we enter a game considering the opposition 'small beer.'  We consider such teams, from smaller countries, as the type we ought to beat week in, week out, instead of realising the real world is not like that.  Macedonia contains some excellent players, and their individual skills showed early on when our overrun defence could have left us five down had they not been unlucky or misfits in front of goal.  The individual skill on show was greater than ours, and we still regard them as sides we ought to beat!  Such sides no longer exist!  Our strengths may be different, but when our desire is less than the opposition things need to change, and change soon.  Sadly I feel a new man is required, otherwise the end is nigh. 


There appears to be a problem occasionally with comments.  Some appear to be missed and turn up later awaiting approval.  Quite how this happens I know not.  Apologies if you comment and it appears to run off.

.

9 comments:

Gerry Hatrić said...

Yep, the cemetery's a great place for reminding one that it could always get worse, so stop whingeing! :)

soubriquet said...

That bishop seems to have had plasticine surgery on his face. A trout-pout and worse. It looks like they got a cut-price restoration job from a bloke with a wobbly chisel. Whereas the king's a splendid looking fellow.

Going to a cemetery to cheer yourself up?

Reminds me of the nutters, sitting on the asylum wall, watching a farmer go by with a load of manure.
"Hey!", they shout, "where are you going with all that sh*t?"
"I'm going to spread it on my strawberries"....
"Come inside! We get cream on ours!"

Mike Smith said...

I pine for the days of Law, Baxter and Mackay.

red dirt girl said...

A walk in a cemetery to cheer yourself up ?? Things can't be THAT bad can they?

xxx

Adullamite said...

Rob, You mean it's going to get worse....?

Soub, your right about the Bishop, maybe he was not popular.....?

Mike, MacKay would have changed things that's for sure!

RDG, You didn't see the game.

Relax Max said...

Bravo to you for taking the pictures and for helping the museum. That's important work. I've often wanted to do important work.

Adullamite said...

Max, Everything you do is important to someone.

Unknown said...

Yes, I would say that a somber walk through an old cemetery is an appropriate activity
after watching grown men frolic in their short pants on the pitch.

Adullamite said...

Jerry, too right...